- Play a leading role in delivering a key part of LSE's 2030 vision and strategy
- Be part of a highly successful and commercially driven team
About Our Client
The London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE) is one of the foremost social science universities in the world.
LSE's portfolio of programmes for students and professionals makes their world-leading teaching and research accessible to a global audience of lifelong learners at a moment when the value and demand for learning has never been greater. The Extended Education portfolio forms a growing element of the continuum of lifelong learning opportunities envisaged by LSE's 2030 Strategy.
The portfolio includes:
- Summer School, this is recognised a global leader, and is one of the top three Summer School programmes in the world measured by international student enrolments, attracting over 9,000 enrolments annually, studying on the LSE campus over an intensive 9 week period every summer.
- Executive Programmes, the Unit is also responsible for delivering open enrolment and customised executive education courses since 2009, and more recently has responsibility for Custom Programmes.
The Summer School and Executive Programmes teams are part of LSE's Extended Education Unit, a highly successful and commercially driven Unit that delivers LSE's open enrolment short courses for undergraduate and professional audiences as well as a small number of high profile custom programmes.
The Associate Director (Summer School and Executive Programmes) plays a critical role in the Extended Education Unit, with a particular focus on providing:
- Leadership and direction for the Summer School & Executive team, driving the development and implementation of LSE's growth strategy
- Strategic insight and thought leadership for the development of Summer School and Executive provision across Extended Education programmes and the broader School
- Support to, and deputising for, the Director of Extended Education.
Strategy, planning and leadership
- As a part of the SMT, to provide overall strategic support and advice for the Unit.
- To assist the SMT expansion plans with a particular focus on the development of new participant cohorts for the Summer School and increasing corporate groups on Executive Education.
- Leading the admissions reporting and analysis capabilities for the Summer School and Executive Education and providing detailed sophisticated management information to senior stakeholders.
- Oversight of the Admissions, Operations and Marketing team supporting the Summer School and Executive Education, ensuring that the administration can effectively support and develop the programmes, whilst also interfacing with colleagues in supporting departments, overcoming barriers (internal and external).
- Lead and motivate the Summer School and Executive teams, creating a culture and working environment to drive growth and facilitate high performance.
- Work with the Assistant Director (Operations and Planning) to develop budgets and 5 year financial plans for the Summer School, Executive and Custom programmes.
- Produce reports to support planning and monitoring exercises within the School.
- Line-manage, motivate and coach 3 individuals.
- Maintain and advance the Summer School and Executive Education reputation within the sector through personal and institutional networks.
- Direct communications with business press in relation to the programmes.
- Lead the development of a long-term strategy for LSE's Summer School and Executive Education which will include an assessment of market conditions, resource implications and potential risks.
- Work with the Dean of Extended Education, and relevant academics to identify opportunities for new courses.
- Lead the refinement of LSE's operating model for the development and delivery of the programmes, ensuring continuous improvement in response to student and academic feedback and course innovation in response to new technology and market trends.
- Develop and implement business plans, including programme/course development and pricing strategy.
- Work to achieve alignment and collaboration with other programmes across the School (e.g. Online and the University of London Programme (UoLIP).
- Work with the Dean of Extended Education and the Directors to ensure the appropriate engagement by academic departments in the development and delivery of Summer School and Executive Education.
- Develop a public presence in the sector and network at a senior level among peers and clients, through business development, networking and public relations activities (e.g. client meetings, professional networks and events, School events, public conferences).
- Engage with Faculty to develop business cases to support the development of new initiatives/programmes.
- Engage directly with the Extended Education Sub-Committee, International Programmes Board and Executive, Custom and Online Short Courses Strategy Committee about strategic issues relating to Custom and Executive Education.
The Successful Applicant
This role could suit someone that has experience as a Head of Programme in a University or a similar role.
- Knowledge of the global short course/HE market and how it is changing; ability to use this to inform the Unit's development.
- Experience of negotiating commercial contracts.
- Excellent negotiation and influencing skills, demonstrating persuasive and motivational skills and the ability to work with and through others.
- Demonstrable experience of identifying opportunities for beneficial organisation change and leading colleagues to deliver it.
- Commercial drive and ability with an entrepreneurial approach.
- Significant team and line management experience.
- Experience of recruiting, training and developing of staff.
- Evidence of having made a significant contribution at senior management level.
- Proven experience of business case development, report preparation, data analysis.
- Excellent written English and report writing skills.
- Ability to write reports, business plans, committee papers to a high standard with supporting data.
- Ability to present complex data/management information in a structured and clear way, verbally, in writing and for presentations.
- Experienced in making logical evidence based business decisions and communicating them to senior personnel.
- Ability to create a culture within Extended Education which facilitates cross programme communication and sharing of best practice encouraging synergies wherever they are presented.
- Proven ability at representing a business unit at senior level board and/or committee meetings.
- Evidence of managing and controlling significant budgets effectively and allocating resources in accordance with strategic objectives and established priorities.
- Evidence of having successfully led a team through a changing environment, setting and monitoring appropriate standards of performance and delivery.
- Ability to use initiative and creativity to resolve problems where solutions may not be immediately apparent and/or where there is lack of precedent.
- Experience of identifying and managing risk.
- Experience of working in an area where ongoing quality assurance is critical.
What's on Offer
Salary up to £83K for the right candidate plus great benefits.