CFO, Series A startup
You will be the CFO of the company, but acting at a controller level
We are looking for a professional with experience in distribution & logistics
About Our Client
Our client is already operational and generating revenue and profit. Having recently received financial backing at a Series A Level, is now looking to grow. The business consists of a technology platform that supports an innovative supply chain model which is re-inventing the way their industry operates.
We are seeking a qualified financial professional with a keen understanding of accounting and finance for distribution-based companies. Although being a C-level position within the organization, the size of the operation still requires an executive who is hands on and will be comfortable growing the team as the business develops. An entrepreneurial-minded finance executive with a passion for creating a team in a dynamic business in a post startup moment is being sought. The role doesn't have immediate requirements at capital markets or funding experience. The next few years requires an operational finance leader who can support the growth to the business.
This professional will be a key component in evaluating opportunities for acquisition and growth in the future, despite capital investments being mainly focused on organic growth in warehouses and fulfillment centers as well as logistics support.
- Serve as a financial and business partner to the CEO and other members of the senior management team. Contribute actively to the evolution and execution of the organization's strategic and operational plans, maximizing opportunities to serve more customers; sustain and deliver service excellence; accelerate revenue growth controlling profitability and potentially help to develop new, innovative go-to-market strategies and revenue streams.
- Provide analysis and internal reporting that informs business decision-making and enables the leadership team to have greater insight into key metrics of business performance. Helps anticipate and then engage proactively in ongoing operational and organizational initiatives to improve profit margins and identify opportunities to continually improve the business financially. At a certain point, you will be responsible for improving the financial systems and reports, helping to evaluate the investment and implementation of those systems.
- Ensure that all levels of the company are provided with accurate, timely and relevant financial reporting which is meaningful to the business and ensure the integrity and compliance of all financial and regulatory reporting, controls, processes and systems.
- Support the CEO, who at this stage, will be directly interacting with the investors, ensuring they have a clear sense of the overall financial health and potential risk areas of the company.
- Ensure that strategic planning and forecasting are key competencies in the organization. Develop and utilize forward-looking predictive models and activity-based financial analyses to ensure that the company is able to correctly assess information and reforecast implications quickly and thoughtfully.
- Develop long-term, trusted relationships and credibility with key external partners including external auditors, developed and newly developing banking relationships and other advisors (Legal and Tax).
- Forecast scenarios and analyze inputs based on review of financial models, mostly revolved around supply chain, operations and customer service (order intake, inventory control, logistics and billing).
- Demonstrate proficiency in monitoring, forecasting, and coordinating cash management functions to manage consolidated corporate capital for a distribution business (marketplace + last mile delivery).
- Actively participate in all M&A due diligence, negotiations and integration of potential acquisition targets, always with a value creation mind-set.
- Provide leadership, mentorship and coaching to the accounting and finance team that fosters an environment of problem solving, collaboration, efficiency, improved business practices and attracts and retains talent in a growing and ever-changing environment (startup).
The Successful Applicant
- Serve as a key partner to the leadership team in planning the company's future growth, value creation and strategic partnerships.
- Work closely with the senior leadership team by providing financial transparency, insight and profitability analysis into business performance.
- Assist in the creation of a refined and highly-scalable real estate/asset based assessment and site-selection model that can be applied to a wide range of opportunities for the company's expansion.
- Develop trusted, strong relationships with the board, lenders and other external stakeholders and ensure transparent communication that inspires confidence about the state of the business.
- Recruit, mentor and develop the accounting and finance team and its capability for an increasingly complex and larger business, specifically building strength within the FP&A function to assess market positioning, competition and strategic planning.
- 10+ years in accounting & finance roles, 5+ years in a leadership role, preferably in logistics and distribution-oriented businesses.
- Ideally will have worked closely with supply chain and operations teams to assist in mission-critical expansion and high volume of order management.
- Private equity / Entrepreneurial CFO experience will be a big plus
- Ideally has experience working in a high-growth, fast-moving organization. Preference for fast-moving, lean organizations. Foundational training in an organization known for developing blue-chip finance talent is preferred. Experience as a Corporate/Business Controller or Divisional CFO is required.
- Experience developing a finance organization and FP&A team to support the needs of a growing business.
- An accomplished leader who has previously led and inspired diverse teams (at Senior Management level at least).
- Has an established reputation for attracting and promoting talent within organizations.
- Bachelor degree required; MBA or CPA highly desirable.
- Critical leadership capabilities and entrepreneurial spirit
What's on Offer
This is an excellent opportunity for a Division Finance Director or Controller who has solid foundations at a large organization, but wants a CFO route at a smaller company.
A previous experience with a smaller company or supporting a company to grow, is fundamental to the successful match here.
A financial business partner with experience in distribution and logistics will be an excellent fit.
Your compensation will consist of a competitve base salary, plus bonus, benefits and equity.