- Excellent C-Suite opportunity
- Huge growth potential
About Our Client
Williams Advanced Engineering (WAE) is a world-leading technology and engineering services business delivering pioneering innovation to improve performance, efficiency and sustainability to a global customer base. Combining cutting-edge technological advances and the industry's best engineers with precision and speed to market derived from the ultra-competitive environment of motorsport, WAE's capabilities cover a wide range of disciplines.
The company provides ground-breaking innovation covering advanced battery and electrification technologies and product development; aided by advanced simulation, testing, rapid prototyping, and volume manufacturing and more recently manufacturing products and services - particularly in high performance batteries and battery management systems - to deliver energy efficient solutions for its customers and generate a strong portfolio of IP.
The business serves an increasingly diverse customer base across motorsport, automotive, aerospace, defence, energy, and other transportation markets.
Formed in 2010, WAE has over 400 employees based at Williams' Technology Campus in Grove, Oxfordshire. Formerly a wholly owned subsidiary of the Williams F1 Group, WAE is now owned by Fortesque Metals Group (FMG) who with its subsidiary Fortesque Future Industries (FFI) are driving a path to decarbonisation of the energy supply and mining sectors. The business has a clear vision to develop foreground IP using WAE and to exploit and disseminate this into multi-sector commercial offerings.
Key focus areas for WAE include;
- Continuing to maintain and grow its market leadership position in motorsports formats
- Delivering compelling growth in solutions and product supply to the automotive, aerospace and defence sectors
- Forging a path in commercial vehicles and heavy industry, utilising the FFI GreenFleet agenda and investment appetite as solid foundation for growth.
Due to investment and organic growth, the Chief Commercial Officer (CCO) role has been created. As the CCO, you will partner with the Chief Executive Officer and the Board to maintain and nurture existing relationships whilst developing new customers across a variety of sectors resulting in the international expansion of WAE.
You will provide outstanding leadership to the WAE commercial function and as the CCO you will be responsible for the Customer Journey whilst driving Business Development, Commercial Strategy, Marketing and Communications.
Key responsibilities will include, but not be limited to;
- Leadership and oversight of a highly skilled and diverse cross-functional team.
- Recruiting, developing, engaging, and retaining a best-in-class Sales & Marketing team.
- Owning the entire customer journey including engagement, pre-sales, sales and delivery.
- Forging and developing lasting relationships with leading international OEMs, improving customer retention, and bolstering recurring revenue.
- Advocating and fostering a culture of best practice and customer centricity.
- Forging relationships with leading OEM's and new entrants to the mobility and electrification verticals.
- Defining the commercial strategy for WAE (with FFI) in the Heavy goods, Commercial and Energy sectors.
- Developing a sales strategy and providing leadership for enterprise-wide business development opportunities.
- Driving the development of a product strategy utilising a developing base of foreground IP and product suites being developed for FFI Greenfleet.
- Defining and delivering an effective marketing strategy.
- Overseeing all market focused communication activities.
The Successful Applicant
You will be a proven Commercial leader with a track record of success of winning major £multi-million projects, delivering exceptional leadership and sustained business growth ahead of market growth rates. WAE is a growing business and well invested. You will support the business on its rapid growth journey winning new customers and expanding into new markets internationally. As the CCO, you will already have a demonstrable track record.
You will have a strong technical background and track record within the automotive, aerospace or other adjacent advanced engineering sectors. You are likely to be degree educated in an engineering or technical discipline with post-graduate qualifications being advantageous. You will be a solution focussed individual who can develop a compelling customer value proposition and build long term relationships. You will be commercially astute with the ability to lead Sales and Marketing in its entirety.
Further selection criteria will include;
- Proven experience in a Commercial leadership role leading a substantial growth journey and developing a high-performance team.
- Experience of leading a technical sales and/or business development function where complex, multi-level solution-based selling is key
- Track record working with major European OEMs within the automotive and/or other major mobility verticals.
- Having a strong network within the automotive, aerospace, defence or other adjacent industries is a must.
- Knowledge and understanding of contemporary 'green' mobility technology trends, particularly electrification and light weighting.
- A strong grasp of commercial contract law.
- The ability to flourish in a lean entrepreneurial set-up, fulfilling a broad hands-on role.
- Proven effectiveness managing relationships with key clients and/or customers
- A track record of International growth as well as within the UK.
- Additional language skills (notably French and German) would be advantageous but not essential.
What's on Offer
In addition to joining a rapidly growing business at an exciting time in its journey, you will be well rewarded with a highly competitive executive package.