Chief Finance Officer
CFO role with an organisation that is transforming international health research
Innovative, forward thinking and dynamic organisation
About Our Client
UK Biobank is a national and international health resource enabling unparalleled research opportunities, open to all bona fide health researchers. UK Biobank aims to improve the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of a wide range of serious and life-threatening illnesses - including cancer, heart diseases, stroke, diabetes, arthritis and forms of dementia. It is following the health and well-being of 500,000 UK volunteer participants and provides access to unrivalled, high quality and de-identified health information to approved researchers in the UK and overseas, from academia and industry.
The role straddles the research grant-funded UK Biobank (headquartered in Manchester) and its wholly owned trading subsidiary UK Biocentre (located in Milton Keynes). Alongside providing access to large-scale research datasets, UK Biobank continues to undertake complex, capital intensive enhancement programmes and is currently running a >£50M imaging programme with imaging centres in Manchester, Newcastle and Reading (and with Bristol to follow in late 2019). UK Biocentre is an established service provider in the field of biomedical research, supporting researchers in all aspects of sample collection, processing, archiving and analysis in clinical studies. It is expected that the role will allocate approximately 70% of its time to UK Biobank and 30% of its time to UK Biocentre.
Both organisations are constantly changing in response to new paradigms in the industry, whether they be technological, political or economic. A current example of where UK Biobank is taking advantage of technological advancement is in the revolution in genetics analyses that makes large-scale sequencing possible at an ever-quickening pace. Following a £30M funding grant, UK Biobank is currently sequencing the first 50,000 of its participants with the ultimate goal to sequence all 500,000 UK Biobank participants over the next two or three years. The investment will help establish the world's most detailed whole genome sequence database - and further accelerate research into a wide range of diseases that cause disability and premature death in mid to later life.
As a result, this is not a "maintenance" role. The CFO has a broad Finance leadership role which covers other parts of the back-office (HR and Procurement). They will work as a business partner to the Executive Team, developing the financial road map for the business whilst building/maintaining a Finance function that is fit for current and future purpose as the organisation continues to evolves. In addition to the routine outputs of a Finance department (internal and external reporting and compliance etc.), this person will drive sophistication in the Management Information pack to illustrate areas for improvement across the business and create forecast models that support investment and fund-raising activities etc. This is a role that will face external stakeholders including funders, suppliers and customers.
Reporting in to the Chief Operating Officer for UK Biobank with matrix reporting lined to the UK Biobank and UK Biocentre CEOs this role will be positioned with the Executive Management Teams of both organisations.
With three direct reports (Head of Finance, HR and Procurement) responsibilities include:-
- Board interaction; attend all Board meetings for UK Biobank and UK Biocentre.
- Audit and Risk Committee; run the quarterly meetings of this sub-committee of the Boards.
- Developing large complex structured programmes with Government Departments and Industry.
- Assessment of future growth opportunities and fund raising analysis.
- Strategic input; contribute to the achievement of UK Biobank and UK Biocentre objectives by providing advice and guidance on financial strategy and funding requirements.
- Oversight of HR function; support Head of HR to ensure development of HR strategies, policies and structures to reflect growth of within UK Biobank and UK Biocentre.
- Oversight of Procurement Function; support of Head of Procurement to ensure best value achieved across organisational expenditure, appropriate OJEU tender procedures are followed and internal procurement control matrix remains appropriate to the scale of the organisation.
The Successful Applicant
- The ability to act as a partner to the Board, and the Executive Management Teams, delivering the financial stewardship that supports the achievement of the strategic goals.
- Commercially astute, strategic in outlook but with a forensic ability to "drill down into the detail" and create clear and accessible insight and information.
- A genuine passion and belief in the aims of the UK Biobank.
- Graduate calibre, qualified accountant.
- The presence, gravitas and impact to develop strong internal and external relationships across a broad range of complex and high calibre stakeholders to deliver direct, clear and honest communication.
- Broad finance experience most likely gained in a blue-chip, commercial setting or a complex not for profit organisation of relevant scale. A deep appreciation for best practice and ability to drive improvements.
- Experience of working in Big 4 practice is desirable but not essential.
What's on Offer
Competitive base salary + Benefits