- The opportunity to drive and manage technology enabled transformational change.
- Hybrid working practices in place
About Our Client
The Government Property Agency is changing the way the Civil Service works and is at the forefront of the Government's transformation agenda; reshaping the relationship civil servants have with their place of work. The Agency is central to the delivery of key Government policies including moving 22,000 Civil Service roles out of London by 2030 and tackling climate change by contributing to the Net Zero agenda. To do this we are delivering a major change programme across the UK and consolidating our portfolio in order to save £1.4 billion over 10 years.
Beyond the bricks and mortar, the GPA is about providing great workplaces for our people. Through programmes like Hubs, Whitehall Campus and Smart Working you will be in the vanguard of creating model working environments and promoting flexible working practices.
This is an ambitious and exciting task, for which we need innovative people, with strong commercial acumen, who are passionate about visualising and implementing customer needs. Launched as an Executive Agency of the Cabinet Office in 2018, we're a relatively new department and we are growing fast so we also need people who thrive in ambiguity, can adapt quickly to change and are comfortable stepping outside of their remit to drive outcomes.
To support this growth, the GPA established a new digital, data and technology capability in 2020 to enable it to become a leader in property management digital services and manage this substantial property portfolio. This Technology team has continued to grow and broaden its range of technologies and services and has now reached the point where additional senior leadership support is required.
The technology team is currently in its early life and will need to be developed and grown over the next few years alongside the development of strategic partnerships with commercial providers for the necessary products and services that enable GPA clients to maximise the benefits of GPA property services and technologies that enable the GPA to optimise its property portfolio across the UK to offer value for money to the UK taxpayer. This is a business-critical role to take the GPA to its next stage of technology maturity, helping to deliver new technologies, embed them and then enhance and develop their capabilities to transform GPA properties and services and enable modern, smarter working.
This is a fantastic opportunity for an experienced, innovative leader who is comfortable in a hands-on role directly involved in operations and change management, whilst also innovating and developing strategy to join the organisation at the start of a 10-year technology journey, influence direction across a wide range of technology areas, and have a real impact on business outcomes.
- To lead on the development of the GPA's client-facing technology products that will improve services to GPA clients, help the GPA to optimise its property portfolio, and enable the GPA long-term vision of an interoperable property portfolio which enables and engenders modern, smarter working.
- To lead on the delivery of these products into GPA properties through a combination of routes that include new builds and major refurbishments and incremental growth through continuous improvement activities.
- To lead on the development of the UK-wide service partner network offer that ensures GPA products are maintained, serviced and improved during their operational life.
- To lead on the development of the GPA's property data services ensuring technology in properties create usable, high-quality data for onward use in business decision-making and forecasting.
- To lead on the development of a GPA partner ecosystem that delivers the necessary operational and strategic services required to deliver the GPA's client-facing property technologies.
- To develop the GPA internal teams to be intelligent clients, interfacing between GPA client needs and GPA technology partners to develop strategic solutions that meet business needs.
- To lead on contract management of a range of technology supplies and partners.
Leadership and People Management
- To build a high-performing and motivated team that will deliver world-class technology services by driving a culture of collaboration, partnership, focus on business outcomes, high performance and delivery.
- To engage with government departments and the technology sector to identify and source innovative technologies that will improve GPA business performance.
- To be a key advisor and champion for client-facing property technology across the GPA partnering with business units to deliver GPA business plans.
- To develop and enhance the GPA's technology governance for its client-facing products including architecture, change control, security, planning, disaster recovery and business continuity. Ensuring the GPA as it grows and develops as an organisation operates high standards of technology assurance.
- To own the strategies, roadmaps and delivery plans for client-facing products that will ensure the GPA meets its business plans and strategic objectives through the use of suitable technology solutions.
- To develop the necessary operational processes and activities that will ensure high-quality technology services enabling the GPA to deliver on business objectives with minimal risk.
- To develop a continuous improvement programme across all client-facing GPA technologies ensuring technology services adapt, change and improve in line with business needs.
The Successful Applicant
Experience & Technical Skills:
- Credible leadership of people with the ability to produce the best from staff, with a genuine commitment to their development, across a multi-tasked organisation.
- A proven track record of delivering property technology and infrastructure technology projects within a complex multi-vendor environment.
- Excellent knowledge of property technology and data systems trends.
- Experience in developing and delivering multi-year technology and data systems strategy, ideally in an outsourced environment.
- Experience in using data and data platforms to deliver business insight and improved business decision-making.
- Experience in developing as is and go to architecture and delivering the necessary activities to deliver the change.
- A deep understanding and appreciation of user needs and productivity requirements, including how to balance expectations with cost efficiency to the satisfaction of stakeholders.
- A proven track record of delivering technology strategy that aligns to and delivers on business strategy.
- Experience in building excellent working relationships with senior stakeholders within an organisation.
- A track record of managing a complex supply chain and handling challenging commercial relationships.
- Excellent communication skills - oral and written - with the ability to communicate with precision to technical professionals, and with simplicity to customers.
- Proven experience in delivering data platforms and visualisation services that have been adopted and embedded in business operations.
- Experience in delivering improvements to IT assurance, cybersecurity and data protection policies and processes and embedding good practice into business as usual operations.
Evidence of ongoing professional development linked to the role, e.g. Prince, ITIL, TOGAF, MSP.
What's on Offer
A competitive package to be discussed on a one-to-one basis.
Candidates will be assessed at sift stage using the required experience and technical skills listed.
The interview will have a blend of experience, behaviour, technical and strength questions.
The behaviours assessed will include:
- Communication and Influencing
- Making Effective Decision