- This is a new and exciting leadership role
- Play a pivotal role in developing the strategic progress of the School
About Our Client
Alleyn's School is one of this country's leading independent co-educational schools, with a particularly strong reputation in London as an academic, highly selective, all-round school.
Alleyn's are based in leafy Dulwich and have 1400 pupils in their school, which comprises of Alleyn's Junior School (4-11 years) and Alleyn's Senior School (11-18).
Alleyn's has recently drawn up an ambitious and exciting ten-year plan for enterprising education and strategic development. This includes significant investment in the Dulwich site and facilities. They have a burgeoning and
successful commercial events operation, and are planning international and commercial expansion. The School has also just completed an exciting re-brand exercise to ensure a distinct and compelling visual expression of their identity.
This is a new and exciting role, requiring both strategic and operational expertise.
Working closely with the Head, you will be a critical member of the School's senior management team, playing a pivotal role in developing the strategic progress of the School.
As Director of External Relations, you will direct and coordinate all the outward-facing functions of the School, notably Marketing, Communications, Admissions and Events. You will also work closely with the Development Office. This is an opportunity to be a key public face for the School and lead a team of 12 across all functions.
The School are looking to develop a recognisable, sustainable, compelling and authentic brand presence, which reflects their progressive and enterprising approach to education. They are therefore looking for a Director of External Relations to take a lead in developing the brand and all its strategic communication and events activity.
Primary aims of the role
- To lead and co-ordinate the external-facing functions of the School.
- To raise the profile and reputation of the School, and the goodwill and philanthropy towards the School, through the promotion of clear and consistent brand values.
- To help sustain an optimum number of successful pupil applications, with as diverse a range of backgrounds as possible, year on year.
- To ensure the widespread and diverse events activity reflects the strategic aims and values of the School.
- To cultivate interesting conversations and connections with stakeholders and in the School's wider community.
- To contribute to the development and delivery of the School's strategic plan.
- To co-ordinate the Admissions and Marketing functions across the Junior and Senior School.
The Director of External Relations will contribute to the development and delivery of the School's strategic plan. This will include developing and implementing a compelling external strategy for Alleyn's, managing the brand across all touchpoints and ensuring Alleyn's retains its rightful place as one of the most sought-after schools in the UK.
The Director of External Relations will oversee and manage the development and implementation of the Alleyn's brand and ensure that it is creative, consistent and appropriate in presenting "the spirit of possibility" which is at the heart of the vision to all stakeholders. This will include developing a communications plan, producing high quality academic pieces, researching the requirements of key target audiences, developing an influencer strategy to maintain the School's positioning, keeping track of ROI and overseeing the events team.
The Director of External Relations will coordinate and unify the approach and work of the Admissions teams across the Junior and Senior School and ensure their admissions processes enable them to reach a diverse range of pupils and have impact. This will involve working with Registrars to review admissions processes and staying abreast of innovations and new approaches in admissions techniques whilst measuring the success and amending activity as appropriate.
The Successful Applicant
We welcome applicants both from within and outside of the education sector. We are looking for someone full of enthusiasm who appreciates the joy for education!
It would be an advantage if you have played a part in re-articulating the identity of an organisation in a previous role.
We are also looking for:
- Brand literate: clearly understands how to extend and embed a set of brand values across multiple communities, teams and stakeholders;
- Thought leadership: is attuned to the latest advances in communications technologies and trends, is aware of the dynamics of this sector and is eager to seek out new sources of inspiration and information;
- Excellent leadership skills: providing inspirational leadership, clarity and consistency in approach and message;
- The capacity to set high standards for yourself and those who work with and for you;
- Team building: has tact and understanding and the ability to support talented, dedicated and hard-working colleagues, empowering them to play to their strengths and progress professionally;
- Communication: has excellent written, verbal and visual communication skills and is an excellent, engaging presenter;
- Creativity: has the ability to be innovative and agile in anticipating and solving problems and delights in finding fresh ways of doing things;
- Approach: a willingness and an eagerness to keep learning and an appetite for change;
- Teamwork: is a great team player and enjoys open and collaborative working.
What's on Offer
The Director of External Relations is a permanent position and predominately based on site at Alleyn's School in Dulwich. The role is offered on a full time basis working all year round (including School holidays).
The salary is £80-£95K plus great benefits including fee remission for any children attending the School.