Director of Marketing, China - MNC Consumer Goods
Strategic Hire - China Focused
Personal Care - Retainer Assignment
About Our Client
Our client is recognized across the globe as a marketing leader in the Person Care segment. With a deep history and extensive network across China, this organisation is position very well for growth and continues penetration into retail and ecommerce channels. Reporting to the China GM, you will be a critic member and vital influencer in the China growth story.
Reporting to the China GM, the candidate will be responsible for overseeing the day to day management of the portfolio and related budget, developing the innovation pipeline and creating/executing annual operating/marketing plans that lay out a clear vision which will drive sustainable sales and profit growth.
The candidate will be exposed to challenging opportunities within a highly competitive category and rapidly changing market conditions and must be well suited for this type of environment. The ideal candidate is a proven marketer that thrives working with and leading cross functional teams, is ready to hit the ground running, has a great attitude, enjoys working in a fast-paced environment, exerts strong leadership skills and exhibits initiative and a sense of urgency to deliver goals. Challenging the status quo and pursuing new ideas and ways of thought will be essential to this role. Above all, this individual must be passionate for and highly motivated.
Provide strategic direction and guidance for a growing portfolio of products. Will also be responsible for formulating a channel expansion strategy to extend the brand's presence beyond its current footprint and customer base to drive growth and reach new customers/consumers.
Lead all new product efforts and pipeline development, including product strategy, generating and testing new product concepts, overseeing the commercialization process, and creating market launch plans to guarantee success in the marketplace. Identify industry, consumer and competitive trends and make recommendations for action plans and programs based on key learnings, both immediate and longer term. Establish priorities and strategic direction for all marketing activities including advertising, promotions, packaging, sales and trade marketing.
Ensure brand messaging and positioning is consistent across all touch points and lead our marketing agencies to deliver holistic and break-through marketing plans and creative. Work with Sales to create and execute sales plans for key customers to significantly grow market share and product distribution while improving customer profitability.
Provide direction and coordinate with other functions such as consumer insights, sales, procurement, distribution, legal and finance as necessary.
Lead and develop the marketing team of 2-3 Business Managers, partnering with them to create imaginative marketing plans,product innovations and a thorough understanding of the consumer and trade.
The Successful Applicant
- Minimum 7-10 years of brand management experience within the consumer goods industry, with a proven track record of increasing responsibility and achieving extraordinary results both individually and by leading teams.
- Experience marketing products personal care and/or homecare to a diverse set of channels and consumers, including e-commerce.
- Proficient and effective at leading marketing agencies in strategy and creative development for fully-integrated marketing communications, driven by both paid and earned media.
- Significant new product development experience, from the introduction phase through commercialization supported by successful consumer adoption and market results.
- Proven success at identifying and executing positioning and product renovation efforts to revitalize or turn around mature and/or commoditized products and categories.
- Capable of successfully penetrating new customers and channels to drive growth by utilizing insights and unique product features.
- The ability to effectively communicate with and motivate the Sales team by developing and delivering clear direction as it relates to product line and channel strategies, and portfolio, pricing, and promotional optimization.
- In depth understanding of retailers and wholesale network, with clear evidence of the ability to call on customers and manage wholesales to achieve distribution and merchandising goals.
- Strong presentation skills, including the ability to develop and communicate compelling selling stories and strategic plans, both to customers and business partners. Ability to present to and gain consensus from senior management concerning direction, milestones and project investments.
- Strong familiarity with the entire P&L, with the ability to assess and perform financial analysis related to pricing, volume, margins, and spending.
- An expert at leading the annual planning and budgeting process (both near and long term plans).
- Demonstrated operations experience (supply chain, production, R&D/product development, sensory, packaging/label development, etc.) for food related categories.
- Thorough knowledge of consumer goods regulatory considerations specifically as it relates to product formulation and marketing claims.
- Mandarin language skills are a must have.
What's on Offer
This role is replacing the current Director of Marketing who has been recently promoted to a business related role outside of the marketing function. This company pays well and does a great job managing employees career progression.