- Director of Policy and Communications with ARCO
- policy, communications, public affairs, strategy, leadership
About Our Client
The Associated Retirement Community Operators (ARCO) represents the Integrated Retirement Community (IRC) sector in the UK - operating at the forefront of housing and social care solutions for older people.
IRCs - provided by housing associations, charities and the private sector - offer specialised housing and facilities, community and care and support to around 70,000 people in the UK, and the sector is growing fast. Already well established in the US, Canada, Australia and New Zealand, IRCs are now attracting a lot of attention from investors, politicians and consumers in the UK - with a government Older People's Housing Task Force now announced to help the sector expand.
ARCO has a network of c. 30 operating members, 11 Accelerators, and over 100 Commercial Partners and Affiliates, and provides sector-leading insight, events, and influence. It also sets high standards for its members to follow in the ARCO Consumer Code. What unites the membership
is a joint commitment to older people's well-being, providing choice, enabling independence, and delivering high-quality housing and services.
The Director of Policy and Communications will be pivotal to ensuring that the sector reaches its potential in the UK and that all older people have the option to live in an IRC - helping us reach our target of 250,000 residents by 2030.
In this role, you will lead ARCO's policy, public affairs and communications function, including achieving ARCO's strategic goals through building and developing high-level relationships with politicians, officials and other key stakeholders including in 2022/23 managing our work with the Older People's Housing Task Force. In addition, the post-holder will develop and direct ARCO's policy and research strategy - ensuring that we have the best evidence to support our goals.
The Director of Policy and Communications is a member of ARCO's Executive Management Team (EMT) and along with the other members of EMT, sets the strategic direction for ARCO and supports the Board and Steering Group.
- Develop, in consultation with the Chief Executive and the Steering Group, a public affairs strategy for ARCO including key monthly, quarterly, and annual targets
- In pursuit of these targets, build and maintain high-level relationships with politicians, officials and other stakeholders including in 2022/23 the Older People's Housing Task Force. This will include working with ARCO's ever-growing list of Parliamentary Supporters who we work with to expand housing and care options for older people in the UK.
- Building a body of research to support ARCO's strategic public affairs goals, including through commissioning and work with external partners;
- Producing policy collateral and thought leadership content;
- Responsible for ARCO's external communications strategy
- Acting as media spokesperson for ARCO and dealing with press queries
- Acting as line manager for the Policy and External Affairs Manager
The Successful Applicant
You will have
- Educated to undergraduate degree level (or equivalent work experience)
- Experience working in a senior policy and public affairs role
- Experience in external communications including media management
- Ability to form and maintain productive working relationships with a wide variety of people within different organisations
- Willingness to work flexibly, including to tight timescales and with minimal supervision
- Being comfortable working in a small team, supporting others across a variety of functions
- Having a genuine interest in the health, social care, and housing field
What's on Offer
- £67,000-£80,000 per annum (depending on experience) pro rata if part time
- 25 holiday days per year (pro rata if part time), exclusive of bank holidays and any other time the office may be closed.
- Employer pension contribution.
- Flexible working hours.
- Opportunities for training and personal development.
Applications close at midnight Sunday 5th June