- Save Job
- Email job
- BS in Electrical/Mechanical Engineering or Physics
- 5-10+ years of experience within R&D or Engineering
About Our Client
Our client is a world class leader within the industrial manufacturing industry specializing in process automation products and specialized solutions for their clients.
As the Director of R&D you will be responsible for the following:
Directs group activities to design new products, modify existing designs, improve development and production techniques, improves manufacturing and test requirements, and controls relevant product documentation. Maintains and seeks to advance product development in areas that include documentation, verification and validation tests. Coordinates and outsources projects including initial scope, contracts and outcomes where applicable. Works to advance and enhance the overall team collaboration with the global Process Automation network.
- Contributes to making a cooperative team atmosphere between this group and the global network.
- Develops metrics and improves upon development processes and procedures in time, cost and quality.
- Anticipates and resolves problems using solutions that involve new techniques,
- Analyzes technology trends, human resource needs, and market demand to plan projects. technologies, or concepts.
- Advises management of new developments which may affect profit, schedule, costs, customer relations, and/or inter-departmental relations. This includes identification of new technologies that address unmet needs and have large potential markets.
- Confers with management, production, Global R&D, and marketing staff to determine engineering feasibility, cost effectiveness, and customer demand for new and existing products.
- Fosters and coordinate development of IP within the group.
- Provides direction and examples that assist in the interpretation and application of company policies and procedures to engineering activities.
- Maintains a working knowledge of new technologies which may improve operations, and develops recommendations accordingly.
- Maintains a working knowledge of safety policies and regulations to ensure duties of self and others are performed in a safe manner, as well as, product design standards.
- Manages & develops external development partners, external resources and/or technical suppliers
Responsible for the direction, coordination, and evaluation of the R&D functions within the Research & Development Center. Directly manages a department of approximately 30 engineers, technicians and engineering managers. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems with regards to personnel and products. Drives improvements in development methods to increase throughput and performance
The Successful Applicant
- MS in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or Physics with 5 years of directly relevant experience or BS in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or Physics or related field with 10 years of direct relevant experience.
- Experience with product development processes from product requirements to launch and sustaining, including product requirements, architecture, hardware and software development, verification, production and launch.
- Strong know-how of physical and chemical effects to measure conductivity, pH, flow and other relevant process parameters
- Experience in managing software, electrical, mechanical and test/verification engineering teams that have created process- or factory automation products, ideally analytical sensors, controllers and transmitters.
- 5+ years individual contributor experience as an engineer or researcher, 5+ years of project team leadership or manager experience, 5+ years managing R&D or engineering teams, ideally in a global environment.
- Experience DFM (design for manufacturing), DFM (design for test) and industrialization of products
- Experience with embedded systems for industrial environments
- Strong verbal and written communication skills. Expertise in presenting complex, technical projects to groups. Leadership proficiency that will relate to both individual team members as well as the team as a whole.
- Working knowledge of mathematical methods required for electrical and mechanical engineering projects.
- Ability to read, analyze, interpret and summarize common scientific and technical journals and legal documents. Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community. Ability to write speeches and articles for publication that conform to prescribed style and format. Ability to effectively present information to top management, public groups, and/or boards of directors.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
What's on Offer
$160-180k base salary + 30% discretionary bonus potential and benefits
Potential relocation package available for non-local candidates
- Engineering & Manufacturing
- Travel Leisure & Hospitality
- Los Angeles
- Contract type
- Consultant name
- Melody Mercado
- Job reference