- Decarbonisation Projects
- Supporting technical aspects of development activities in the UK and Europe
About Our Client
Marubeni Europower Ltd (MEL), with its office in central London, is a wholly owned subsidiary of Marubeni Corporation, headquartered in Tokyo. The MEL organisation is responsible for Marubeni's power investment interests in Europe. Marubeni owns over 40GW, or nearly 12GW in net equity holding position across 52 power generating stations in 23 countries, and SmartestEnergy, a leading renewable power offtaker/supplier and power trader.
From its background in power project development and power trading, Marubeni is actively developing city energy decarbonisation and green hydrogen projects around the world, including locations in Asia, Australia, the UAE and the UK.
The Engineering Manager will focus on leading the technical aspects related to the Marubeni Cities Decarbonisation projects, from origination, identification and assessment of opportunities through technical development to securing contracts and into implementation. From the technology point of view, this will include electrification (e.g. transport, heating, grid), renewables (e.g. solar, wind) and hydrogen etc.
The Engineering Manager will support the overall business objectives with regards to timeline, agreed scope, specifications and quality, performance, and regulatory/permitting. The person in this role understands all the engineering and technical aspects in the origination and development phases, proactively leads the technical aspects of projects (which includes liaising with Tokyo headquarters as needed) and manages consultants to deliver the required work.
Further responsibilities include;
- Leading the technical and engineering activities related to our Cities Decarbonisation projects including identification, feasibility, concept design, grid connection, technical & environmental studies and surveys and tender processes.
- Supporting the technical development of green hydrogen projects.
- Inputting into budgets and programme planning and manages required technical/engineering works within budgets and programme.
- Identifying and maintaining relationship with required stakeholders including technical advisors, OEMs and EPC contractors and presents suggestions to the senior management.
- Supporting the identification of viable opportunities and sites.
- Preparing and/or contributing to reports on project status for the Steering Committee and our Senior Management group.
- Management of procurement activities for development, design and engineering services.
- Understanding the technical solutions required for projects and the economic benefits of alternative approaches; guides and inputs to the relevant project manager to develop strategies.
- Leading negotiating of technical/engineering contracts including with EPC contracts and maintenance contracts.
- Acting as a key member in contributing to the company's strategy in the relevant areas, monitors future energy transition technologies and provides senior management with regular updates on market trends.
- Leading technical studies into relevant business models, applications and opportunities.
- As opportunities advance in the development process, will also be responsible for working with other staff regarding technical aspects of supply of and off-take of power, construction and operations and other matters.
The Successful Applicant
The successful candidate will have a proven track record of delivering in a technical engineering or projects related role. S/he will have knowledge of and a keen interest in the energy transition technologies and development of renewable energy and sustainable cities.
- Engineering Degree or equivalent
- At least 5-10 years professional experience with either i) international energy company, ii) utility company, iii) project developer or iv) Engineering Consultancy.
- Strong experience and understanding of the technical aspects of project origination and early project phases including consenting, feasibility studies, conceptual design, and performance modelling.
- Strong experience and understanding of principles and aspects of engineering contracting and negotiation.
- Strong technical experience in developing proposals for and negotiating with large energy users and/or generators and understanding of typical technical challenges faced by large energy users and/or generators/service providers in implementing such proposals.
- Experience of heat networks and heat pump applications.
- Project management expertise and experience with a track record of success including good HSE performance on previous projects is required.
- Preferably experience in tendering and/or working in partnership with local authorities or public sector organisations.
- Ability to work within a multidisciplinary team and manage external advisors.
- Understanding of the technical and engineering aspects in all project phases allowing decisions to be taken that are optimised across the whole project life cycle.
What's on Offer
In addition to the opportunity to play a key role in City Decarbonisation, you will receive a highly competitive salary and excellent benefits.