- World Business Council for Sustainable Development
- Based in Geneva (ideally), London, Amsterdam or New York.
About Our Client
WBCSD: The World Business Council for Sustainable Development (WBCSD) is made up of over 200 leading businesses working together to accelerate the transition to a sustainable world. Its mission is to accelerate the transformation of business, their value chains and the systems in which they operate, to avert the climate crisis, restore nature and tackle inequality.
TIP: The Tire Industry Project (TIP) was created in 2005 and operates under the umbrella of the World Business Council for Sustainable Development (WBCSD), as a sector project. TIP is a CEO-led forum for tire manufacturers (representing more than 60% of the world's tire manufacturing capacity) to contribute to a sustainable future. Its mission is to anticipate, understand, and address global environmental, social, and governance issues relevant to the tire industry and its value chain. TIP acts by commissioning independent research of the highest standards, collaborating on sectoral solutions, and engaging with external stakeholders.
TIP is seeking an experienced and inspiring Executive Director to lead its expanded secretariat and the work program activities. The Executive Director will have overall accountability of the project. He/she will have a dual reporting line to WBCSD Executive Vice President Pathways and the TIP executive committees (Facilitator Team and CEO Representatives).
The role could be based in Geneva (ideally), Amsterdam, London or New York. International travel will be required.
The Executive Director:
- Develops TIP in the globally leading platform for ESG topics related to the tire industry,
- Is the public face for the Tire Industry Project, able to speak on behalf of the TIP membership on the TIP work program and ESG topics and engages key stakeholders, including tire trade organizations,
- Leads the TIP Secretariat team, and has management responsibility for the Research Pillar, the Action Pillar, and Communication,
- Develops and consolidate ideas on future ESG trends relevant to the tire industry into proposals for additional work streams or strategy development for TIP,
- Engages and aligns the TIP member companies through frequent interactions with TIP Facilitator Team, CEO Reps and CEOs (in compliance with Anti-trust Code of Conduct). He/she will facilitate meetings and decision-making by leading meaningful discussions and driving consensus,
- Is the sounding board for individual member companies on issues related to the implementation of relevant ESG matters into their own strategies and operations,
- Prepares and facilitates the (annual) TIP CEO meetings,
- Facilitates the elaboration and alignment of TIP objectives and work plan and identifies and recommends resource requirements in the 2-year budget-cycle of TIP,
- Challenges members and staff to achieve overall and specific objectives on time and within budget. Systematically tracks and reports progress and status of project to TIP members
- Coordinates TIP sensing activities (with input from various TIP functions and WBCSD) to identify relevant issues and trends,
- Sponsors the Global Dialogue process with national and regional tire trade associations on topics of importance to the ESG,
- Manages and mobilizes the affiliation with WBCSD to ensure optimal synergies between TIP and the pool of sustainability expertise within WBCSD,
- Is coordinating the efforts to grow the TIP membership through interactions with TIP potential future members and affiliate members.
The Successful Applicant
- Advanced degree preferred (e.g., business, science, external relations),
- Minimum of 20 years senior experience in industrial/manufacturing sectors,
- Experience leading organizations at executive level,
- Experience with membership organizations, industry federations and/or multi-stakeholder or sectoral initiatives,
- Track record of successful initiative management in the field of sustainability/ESG.
The candidate will be able to demonstrate the following skills:
- Strong communication and engagement skills
- Demonstrated ability to engage at all levels (including senior industry leadership, governments, civil society) and driving change through consensus.
- Project management: track record and demonstrated experience in project management and resource management,
- Self-starter with a can-do attitude
- Global mindset coupled with hands-on experience working across geographies to build and nurture relationships with diverse groups and cultures.
What's on Offer
WBCSD offers a competitive, modern, and flexible working arrangement:
- Geneva-based organization with additional offices in Amsterdam, London, New Delhi, Singapore and New York City
- Competitive compensation and benefits
- State-of-the-art facilities and ICT-enabled working tools
- Flex-time and part-time possibilities
- Dynamic working atmosphere
- Open culture encouraging interaction and sharing of ideas and opinions
- Sustainable commuting incentives