- Director of Finance & Operations - Royal Society of Medicine
- An exciting opportunity to join a leading Healthcare Membership Organisation
About Our Client
The Royal Society of Medicine is a charity whose mission is to share learning and support innovation across all areas of healthcare. The Society is a leading provider of continuing learning for healthcare professionals, with 20,000 members in the UK and overseas. It delivers multidisciplinary, specialist and general education, as well as professional development, drawing on the support of leading experts in over 50 specialist areas of medicine.
Bringing together healthcare professionals across multiple specialties, the Society offers a range of membership options for every career stage, from students to retirement. The Society also provides dedicated learning, development & research facilities, a hotel & conference venue and a restaurant, all based in the heart of Central London.
Working closely with the Chief Executive and Senior Leadership Team, the Director of Finance & Operations will take responsibility for the Society's strategic overview of financial, risk management and operational systems. This includes the development and delivery of a financial strategy for the RSM that ensures short and long-term financial sustainability and overseeing the delivery of an exciting new digital strategy and the Society's IT infrastructure requirements.
Responsibilities will include:
- Develop and deliver a financial strategy that supports the RSM's charitable mission and ensures financial sustainability;
- Ensure that the assets of the RSM are protected through good systems of internal control;
- Monitor and control the RSM's finances, accounting systems and budgetary processes;
- Ensure the timely and accurate production of financial statements, management information and analysis to support all areas of the organisation and comply with external requirements;
- Lead on producing an annual audit plan and liaise with the auditors to deliver it;
- Lead on the development of new systems and procedures across the organisation with the aim of increasing effectiveness;
- Take the lead on forecasting, long-term strategic financial planning and modelling for the Society regarding existing operations and new projects;
- Support cross-team working on major projects within the organisation including the development of the Society's CRM system;
- Act as the Finance lead individual on investment matters, including overseeing the work of the Society's investment managers
In addition, the successful candidate will also play a vital role in overseeing and developing the Society's Digital and IT strategy to further enhance and develop the customer experience of those using the Society's services and facilities.
The Successful Applicant
The Royal Society of Medicine is a values-based organisation, where people work collaboratively, treat each other with respect and seek to continually improve. The Director of Finance & Operations will be similarly values-driven in approach and comfortable working with a wide group of stakeholders, ranging from Finance to Healthcare & Learning professionals. We are looking for individuals who can demonstrate the following knowledge, skills & experience:
- A qualified accountant (ACA, CA, ACCA, CIPFA) or CIMA
- Significant strategic and operational experience at a senior/leadership level covering Finance and Operations in a complex organisation with an annual budget exceeding £15m, ideally within the charity sector or equivalent;
- Extensive experience in budgeting, financial planning and financial reporting;
- Able to demonstrate commercial acumen, with experience of supporting trading activities operating in a competitive market;
- A track record of understanding the strategic benefits of technology and responsibility for delivering digital services and solutions;
- Experience of managing complex IT budgets and making strategic decisions around investment in infrastructure, communication and information systems;
- CRM and systems integration experience;
- Commercial property experience and a good understanding of related matters would be highly beneficial
- Strong verbal and written communication, problem solving and interpersonal skills and an ability to build buy in and credibility at all levels; and
- Excellent senior level stakeholder engagement skills and people management.
What's on Offer
This is an exciting opportunity for a Finance Leader to join the Society as it enters a strategic period of growth and development. The successful candidate will play a lead role in shaping the medium and long-term future of the Society and how it engages with members. The scope of the role means that the Director of Finance & Operations will also have strategic input into other vitally important areas such as Digital, Technology & People, with a strong focus always being on the overall vision of better healthcare for better lives.