General Manager Innovation Hub
Are you a creative, self starting, experienced manager looking for a next step?
Do you have a track record and passion for innovations and start ups?
About Our Client
Founded in 1999, the Cambridge Innovation Center's ("CIC") mission is to improve the world by building a community and helping exceptional entrepreneurs innovate better and faster. They offer meticulously carefully curated working environments that combine private, secure offices alongside shared amenities in locations across Boston, Cambridge, Miami, Philadelphia, and Rotterdam, with plans to expand to 50 cities in the next 10 years.
The space offered by the company is designed and built for innovation. Featuring tailored workspaces such as biotech and robotics laboratories, by building a community it brings together frequent, large gatherings of the best and brightest innovators and entrepreneurs. CIC prides itself on displaying a high degree of care and accuracy in everything that they do, and work hard to ensure that their clients thrive every day.
There are currently 10.000+ m2 in Rotterdam being offered to approximately 220 startups and innovative companies. Next to that, the location hosts an average of seven events every week. The organization consists out of 15 very dedicated employees continuously improving customers experience and services. For this group we are looking for an inspirational General Manager ("GM") to be the internal and external face of CIC. A GM who also believes that a team's ability to support world-changing entrepreneurs is greater than the sum of its parts.
- As GM, you will balance being the external face of the CIC towards the 200+ start & scales ups, and the external stakeholders (e.g. funding granters), with responsibility for all of the day-to-day workings of the center while leading a bright team employees
- Prioritizing exceptional service and continuously introduce new initiatives to improve customer experience
- Being the champion of guidelines and philosophies, acting as the primary representative internally and externally
- Manage the overall budget for the center, including setting revenue targets, managing costs, taking corrective actions when necessary, and reporting progress back to the central office
- Growing and building CIC as a brand, developing it to a key player in the Dutch innovation field
- Supporting the entrepreneurial ecosystem by creating and nurturing relationships with local entrepreneurs and community leaders through partnership building with key allies, networking, speaking engagements, committee and board participation and infrastructure to the city (e.g. teaching programs, accelerators, shared facilities, venture funds)
- Effectively build and manage both operations and sales teams, and help individuals grow professionally
- Communicating, sending weekly updates to senior teams and across teams within Rotterdam, as well as across the organization's departments worldwide
- Developing relationships with the clients, making sure they're happy and engaged to the innovation ecosystem both locally and globally
- Learning the many internal systems. It is important that you become familiar with the processes so you can train and lead others as well as assist as needed
- Reporting on evaluative data in a number of areas, including client satisfaction and business performance
The Successful Applicant
- BSc/Msc in Business Administration or Hospitality is preferred
- 10+ years of professional experience with 5+ years managing and developing teams
- Experienced with working in a corporate preferably with an international parent or within the public sector
- Input and not output driven, continuously looking for new approaches, and not focusing on KPI's and short term results
- Demonstrated track record in the innovation community and experience with running a new business or endeavor - a rapidly changing and growing environment should be exciting to you
- General understanding of financial statements, with significant experience managing operational budgets
- Creative, bringing fresh perspectives and new ideas (for sales, customer service, etc.)
- Lead by example with an innate desire to help others - comfortable helping out with day-to-day tasks, e.g. happy to get your hands dirty, clean up a mess, or fix a copier
- Capacity to build positive relationships with your team, clients, colleagues and vendors
- Understand when to be involved in the granular detail or when to focus on the big picture, have the ability to recognize areas and opportunities for delegation
- Energized by complex environments, able to make varied decisions with authority
- Comfortable in an outward-facing role, diplomatic capacity, you enjoy being the face of the business and actively networking with diverse stakeholders
- A highly capable, self-motivated entrepreneur who is able to direct the full array of functions and is continuously striving to improve services and enhance attractiveness of the center
- Desire to learn all aspects of the community and start up business from the ground up
- Excellent communicative skills in English and preferably Dutch
What's on Offer