- Excellent opportunity to join the Civil Service
- Hybrid working practices in place
About Our Client
The Government Property Agency is changing the way the Civil Service works and is at the forefront of the Government's transformation agenda; reshaping the relationship civil servants have with their place of work. The Agency is central to the delivery of key Government policies including moving 22,000 Civil Service roles out of London by 2030 and tackling climate change by contributing to the Net Zero agenda. To do this we are delivering a major change programme across the UK and consolidating our portfolio in order to save £1.4 Bn over 10 years.
Beyond the bricks and mortar, the GPA is about providing great workplaces for our people. Through programmes like Hubs, Whitehall Campus and Smart Working you will be in the vanguard of creating model working environments and promoting flexible working practices.
This is an ambitious and exciting task, for which we need innovative people, with strong commercial acumen, who are passionate about visualising and implementing customer needs. Launched as an Executive Agency of the Cabinet Office in 2018, we're a relatively new department and we are growing fast so we also need people who thrive in ambiguity, can adapt quickly to change, and are comfortable stepping outside of their remit to drive outcomes.
Location can be any of the following offices: Birmingham, Leeds, Nottingham, Manchester, Newport, Swindon, Norwich, London.
To read more about the GPA, please copy and paste the link below:
GPA's data ambition is to deliver high-quality, standardised, easily accessible data systems across all GPA functions that enable data flows across business processes. Data will be clearly owned, managed, and maintained, it will be secure and assured, and will be created with the purpose of enabling earlier, better decisions to drive value for money.
The Head of Bi & Data will be integral to helping deliver this strategy. Overseeing data governance and quality, information management, data maturity, data analytics, data architecture, data management, data integration, and data engineering and platforms.
The individual will have 3 direct reports in areas of governance, business intelligence, and data engineering, and support a wider team of professionals including Data Engineers, Data Architects, Data developers, and Data Governance leads.
The Head of Business Intelligence & Data will:
- Support the delivery of GPA's Information & Data Strategy.
- Oversee the design of multiple data models and have a broad understanding of how each model fulfills the needs of the business.
- Be responsible for the definition of the organisation's data strategy.
- Champion data architecture across GPA.
- Set the standards and ways of working for the data architecture community.
- Provide advice to project teams and oversee the management of the full data product life cycle.
- Be responsible for ensuring that GPA's systems are designed in accordance with the data architecture.
- Data operations & integration - Support the wider team that will provide all sourcing, extraction, reference, and onboarding of key data into GPA's data warehouse for analytical production.
- Data analysis and synthesis - lead on the vision to embed new analytics initiatives that enhance user experience and decision-making and be actively involved in the delivery.
- Data Governance and Quality - provide strategic direction and support to focus on delivering the highest quality data in a timely manner, supported by governance processes including data security.
- Data Platforms - able to support and understand the operations of AWS Redshift Data Warehouse as well as other industry-leading data platforms to support master data management, governance, architecture, and quality.
- Data Standards - Strong understanding of standards across Government and \ or within similar sectors and experience of adoption and integration.
- Data Architecture & Integration - strong understanding of data integration between systems, transactional and reference data, and leading on the design and mapping.
- Data modelling and engineering - able to produce data models and understand where to use different types of data models. Understands different tools and is able to compare between different data models.
- Programming and build (data engineering) - be able to lead by example and design, write and iterate code to support data operations. Understanding of security, accessibility, and version control. Can use a range of coding tools and languages.
- Business engagement - Facilitate interactions between business divisions to optimize data usage and optimisation.
- Governance and reporting - Lead on data forums, working groups, and steering groups as well as supporting the creation of Executive level reporting.
The Successful Applicant
Experience & Technical Skills:
- Data Integration - ETL design & development.
- Data Engineering - Implementation of performant models within an AWS and Azure data warehouse environment.
- Data Modelling - Conceptual, logical, and physical data modelling.
- Strong experience in Data Governance & Quality.
- Strong understanding of Data Architecture & Integration.
- Strong experience in data analytics and business intelligence platforms.
What's on Offer
- GPA G6 National £61,710 - £66,614
- GPA G6 London £65,145 - £70,877
A Recruitment and Retention Allowance (RRA) of up to £9,000 is available for candidates that meet the right skills and experience. This will be reviewed annually and is not consolidated for pension.
- The total salary package is negotiable for exceptional candidates.
Benefits will include:
- A Civil Service pension with an average employer contribution of 27%.
- Learning and development tailored to your role.
- An environment with flexible working options includes the ability to work from home from time to time and the use of flexitime.
- A culture encouraging inclusion and diversity.
- Generous annual leave, In addition, employees are entitled to 8 days of public holidays and an additional privilege day for the Queen's Birthday.
- Cycle to work scheme- loan to purchase cycling equipment with typical savings of up to 40%.
- Access to tax-free childcare scheme and holiday playschemes.
- Free eye tests.
- Employee discounts through EdenRed.
- Employee Assistance Programme - The support on offer covers a range of topics, including lifestyle, healthy eating, physical and mental health, and financial and legal advice. There are videos and guides and an online chat service.
Selection Process Details:
Candidates will be assessed at sift stage using the required experience and technical skills listed.
To ensure a fair and open process all candidates must apply using the provided link and within the deadline of 1st Dec 2022. Your application will then be reviewed and scored against the job requirements and if successful you will be contacted for first-stage screening with Page Executive.
This vacancy uses Civil Service Success Profiles, and will assess your Behaviours, Strengths, Experience and Technical skills (including GPA core skills).
To read about the Core Skills Framework, please copy and paste the link below:
The interview will have a blend of experience, behaviour, technical, and strength questions.
The behaviours assessed will include:
- Managing a quality service
- Seeing the bigger picture
- Changing and Improving
Candidates will also be assessed against Technical Skills (GPA Core Skills) at the interview.
- Customer Perspective
- Commercial Acumen
- Property Market Knowledge
Successful candidates must pass a disclosure and barring security check. Successful candidates must meet the security requirements before they can be appointed. The level of security needed is security check. See our vetting charter. People working with government assets must complete basic personnel security standard checks.
The closing date for all applications will be the 1st December 2022.