- This is a newly created Head of Function role
- Opportunity to develop and lead a team and deliver key services
About Our Client
City & Guilds is a Royal Chartered Institute and a registered charity. Everything they do is charitable. They invest their surplus into expanding and enhancing their solutions across all of their brands, to meet the changing needs of organisations and industries. Through their City & Guilds Foundation they amplify their purpose by focusing on high impact social investment, recognition and advocacy programmes which remove barriers to getting a job, celebrate best practice on the job and advocate for jobs for the future.
The City & Guilds community of brands includes Gen2, ILM, Intertrain, Kineo and The Oxford Group.
This Head of Customer and Market Insight will sit in a new team established over the last year. During this time the team have settled on their purpose, vision, ideal structure, objectives and ways of working. Having laid the groundwork, they are now looking for a Head of Function to drive forward their plans and continue to iterate, build and refine to meet the needs of their stakeholders.
To grow, coach, develop and lead their customer and market insights team (3 people) you will ensure the team are focused on the questions that matter most and are using the right methodologies for the right questions. You will ensure that the team tell compelling stories with data and that the business acts on the data your team uncover. You will be adept at juggling priorities and influencing stakeholders.
The team supports the design and development of their value propositions and measures the overarching customer experiences they provide by identifying the key benefits they seek that differentiate their solutions from competitor offers and that drive purchase and loyalty.
You will help teams identify what matters most to customers and how best to price, design and communicate compelling value propositions.
Key parts to the role:
Developing and leading the CMI team
- Embed and execute on the plans, remit and objectives of the CMI team; iterating and evolving structure and remit in line with organisational need
- Grow, coach and lead the Customer and Market Insights team, ensuring the team have the right skills, focus, budget and agency roster to hit objectives an deliver return on research investment
- Lead a team that continually enhances our ability to understand existing and potential customers, the jobs they are hiring us to do, and how their needs and priorities are changing as market, competitive and policy conditions change around them;
- Become an active member of the City & Guilds senior leadership team contributing to the achievement of our business and financial targets;
Delivering key services to City & Guilds
- You will lead the CMI team in supporting the City & Guilds executive team and colleagues across the organisation through key services such as Customer and market insight, segmentation and targeting. An example being developing their insight into why people hire / buy from them and how they use their value propositions from City & Guilds and their delivery brands, eg Gen2, Intertrain, Kineo.
- Value proposition and experience development and testing. An example being contributing insight into how and why people will buy and experience their value propositions to their design and continuous measurement (eg. the impact and effectiveness of their blended training and assessment solutions);
- Developing an insight and data driven culture. An example being working with their data and analytics team, support the organisation wide development of an insight-led culture and evidence-based decision-making;
The Successful Applicant
We are interested to see candidates from all sectors who are/have:
- Deeply motivated to understand how and why customers really buy;
- Experience of working with executive level teams, supporting their decision making and influencing their decisions;
- A track record of delivering impact on commercial business strategy, based on market and customer analytics and insight;
- Equally comfortable with hard and soft data and insight - from market share to customer preference;
- Evidence of continuing personal development of knowledge and skills in methodologies for market and customer research and insight;
- Experience of recruiting, training, and mentoring an insights team, and of leading both analytical and intuitive colleagues;
- Experience of developing strong business relationships with senior internal and external stakeholders and leveraging those relationships to deliver impact, eg in data and analytics, in entrepreneurial value proposition design and development;
- A good communicator and influencer that can adapt messages and presentation for audiences of varying technical abilities;
- Experienced in working with technical systems and processes eg. for collection, management and analysis of large datasets, and in using them to present and analyse data, with a strong understanding of business intelligence development.
What's on Offer
The salary for this role is £85-£100K + benefits
The Head of Customer and Market Insight can be based from anywhere in the UK but there will be travel expected into London once a week and sometimes more regularly.