Head of Engineering / Product Development - Hertfordshire based
Overall engineering design authority for innovative global manufacturng company
Member of Leadership Team providing input to overall business strategy
About Our Client
My client is a leading and highly innovative manufacturer of engineered equipment solutions for the global food and pharmaceutical manufacturing sectors.
An excellent opportunity has arisen for an Engineering Head to have full accountability for New Product Development projects at all levels.
The successful candidate will be ideally coming from a formal product development background and searching for the next level of cross functional team management and responsibility with the desire to contribute to long term company strategy.
You will be joining the business at an exciting period of growth with plans to move into a brand new purpose built manufacturing facility in 2020.
- Ensure all engineering development activities align with company strategy.
- Accountable for delivery of New Product Development projects at all levels (system including software, sub-system and component).
- Accountable for the Engineering Management function, which includes product harmonisation, standardisation, consolidation and enhancements; engineering processes and tools.
- Manage NPD / platform development utilising range of engineering resources including mechanical, electrical, electronic and software engineers.
- Responsible for the Applications Engineering team providing system and sub-system expertise and performance testing capability.
- Ensure products comply with applicable regulatory requirements.
- Collaborate with the Product Management team to develop and maintain the product roadmap.
- Identify opportunities for improvement and initiate cross-functional programmes for process enhancement.
- Support Sales and opportunity team on complex bids to generate solutions and quotations.
- Support custom order engineering execution through appropriate tools and through providing engineering authority
- Develop and provide solutions and support for Key Account customers.
The Successful Applicant
- Degree qualified in a relevant engineering or scientific discipline (for example Automotive, Electronic & Electrical, Mechanical, Manufacturing, Design)
- Significant experience of delivering successful products to market and managing their life cycle support.
- Clear, demonstrable experience of coordinating all engineering functions (mechanical CAD designers, electrical, electronics and software engineers) to deliver products to meet customer requirements
- Significant experience in the design of products with mechanical and electrical / electronic elements and controlled by a substantial software element
- Fluency and demonstrated effectiveness managing cost optimisation initiatives utilising Value Analysis/Value Engineering Tools
- Experience in more fundamental R&D management involving applied scientists and engineers focused on conceptual evaluations and demonstrations with commercial focus
- Significant experience of managing a formal stage/gate product development methodologies
- Able to demonstrate strong conceptual attributes and to think creatively about all aspects of the role deploying a professional curiosity to all aspects of the role and its impact on the business
- Experience in creating, challenging and optimising engineering processes, including selecting and adapting commercial tools
- Track record of successful delivery on time, to cost and quality.
- Experience of preparing and delivering strategically important presentations and situational appraisals to senior management.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Ability to interface with all parts of the business internally and with customers and suppliers.
- Ability to develop accurately resourced financial business cases and proposals.
- A team motivator with a 'can do' outlook able to thrive with broad scope of responsibility.
- Solution oriented, equipped with extensive tool box of techniques which can be deployed appropriately and pragmatically
- A leader- able to project influence across functions and appreciably beyond direct reports and function very effectively in matrix environment.
- A passion for delivering complex new product development projects.
- Self starter, motivator, work to tight deadlines and budgets and manage changing priorities with ease
- Outstanding organisational skills with the ability to prioritise tasks and make confident decisions.
- Not afraid to speak out/challenge when necessary, in the interests of engineering progress
- Good awareness and appreciation of differing global business cultures
- Ability to travel in the UK and oversees when required
What's on Offer
Excellent executive level package on offer for the successful candidate