- Law firm & in-house legal commercial experience with MNC and/or listed companies
- Legal expertise across Africa
About Our Client
Our client is an international key player of the Tech industry. As part of the set-up of its Group Legal & Compliance department, we are looking for a Head of Legal Africa to be based in Kenya, Nigeria or Morocco.
Based in Kenya, Nigeria or Morocco, you report to the Group General Counsel and play a leading legal advising role for Africa businesses and operations teams across the continent.
In line with this role, you will be expected to fulfill the following assignments :
- Partnering with the businesses across Africa in achieving their goals by ensuring that legal and commercial risks are identified and managed effectively through robust contracting and legal risk management, and by delivering clear and practical strategies and solutions,
- Managing a team of lawyers located across Africa in the countries where the Group has its activities,
- Leading group-wide legal projects and partnering with the business units to find risk-balanced solutions to challenging legal topics,
- Taking ownership of key legal issues across Group markets including consumer protection, competition, contracting, company secretarial function, license requirements, supporting the company's proactive government affairs agenda and responding to regulatory inquiries that might arise,
- Managing Group data privacy program and ensuring the compliance of Group's operations with evolving data privacy laws in African markets,
- Managing Group-wide contracts policy and supporting your lawyers team in negotiating, drafting and reviewing key contracts across all areas of the business and maximize value,
- Developing policies and processes to mitigate legal risks, oversee litigation and ensure compliance with all existing and new legislation across Africa,
- Building and managing relationships with external law firms,
- Engaging in other aspects of the legal function and other special projects as topics arise.
The Successful Applicant
You have a degree in law together with a minimum of ten years' experience in a law firm followed by in-house legal experience in the private sector with regulated and listed multinational companies of the telcos, FMCG, banking, financial services & institutions industries in Africa. In-country practical experience with commercial contracting regarding key for this commercial generalist position. Troubleshooter, you have a strong drive, entrepreneur and planning skills together with high agility and wish to bring your multi-countries legal expertise to grow and succeed in a setting-up, fast-paced and fascinating start-up environment.
What's on Offer
Local attractive package