- Save Job
- Email job
- Career progression to US General Counsel, in the future
- 1st US hire for Chinese owned international healthcare business
About Our Client
My client is an established medical device business, headquartered overseas in China. They already have a footprint in the USA, but they are looking to grow significantly in North America over the next 5 years. Whilst this role is 100% remote initially, a relocation to Boston, MA will be required in a few years, once their US headquarters are established in MA.
They have exclusively retained Michael Page Boston to secure their next Legal Counsel.
Reporting into the Global General Counsel overseas, this Legal Counsel role is at the heart of a new global legal team. Working alongside counterparts in various geographical regions across the globe, this role will be responsible for all patent and IP legal matters across North America. Ultimately, the role will be to safeguard the company's interests and uphold professional work ethics to the highest standards. The majority of the legal team are already based in Shanghai, and this will be the first legal hire on the ground in the USA. Main duties and responsibilities of the Legal Counsel include the following:
- Manage, protect and expand the Company's patent portfolio, including proactively identifying and developing patentable intellectual property and working closely with internal clients and/or outside counsel to prepare, file, and prosecute related patent applications.
- Counsel internal clients, including management and members of the R&D, technical operations, and corporate development teams, on IP risks and opportunities.
- Review and assist in the drafting and/or negotiation of nondisclosure, research, license, and other agreements involving the use, transfer, or ownership of intellectual property.
- Assess and advise on IP risks and opportunities in complex transactions.
- Work with the scientific staff to seek IP protection for clinical and later-stage developments that may extend the exclusivity period for company products.
- Provide IP due diligence support for corporate development activities and manage patentability, freedom-to-operate, infringement, validity, and regulatory exclusivity analyses.
- Provide support for adversarial proceedings involving company technology or products and including IP litigation.
- Develop a deep knowledge of the Company's existing and planned research and development programs, business activities, and product candidates in the context of competitor activities, industry trends, best practices, laws, and regulations affecting IP.
- Train internal client groups to promote awareness of IP and its implications on various functions within the organization.
- General corporate in house legal support as needed.
The firm is opening its US Headquarters in Boston this year. The role will remain remote, in the near future with a proximity to Boston preferred and an occasional presence will be required in Boston, MA for future /workshops/ meetings/ networking events. Once the NA headquarters is set up, the candidate would be encouraged to relocate to Boston.
Apply today for consideration within 72 hours of application. If we're moving forward with your application, you will hear from us within 2 weeks of submitting your resume.
The Successful Applicant
- JD from top tier law schools
- Minimum 8 years PQE of relevant legal experience, either in private practice with reputable law firms, or a blend between private practice and in-house - Non-negotiable requirement
- Relevant experience in Patents/ Intellectual Property law within healthcare sectors - Non-negotiable requirement.
- Experience in medical, dental, healthcare will be advantageous.
- International exposure and a second language such as Mandarin, Spanish, German, French, other languages - highly desirable.
What's on Offer
- $ 250,000 to $ 300,000 base salary
- Performance related bonus scheme (15%, performance pending)
- Equity in the form or RSUs
- Competitive benefits package
- 401K plan and employer contributions
- Competitive PTO
- Fully remote position, with a grounding in Boston at some point in the next few years.
- Legal Subsector
- Life Sciences
- Contract type
- Consultant name
- Tom Smith
- Job reference