Non-Executive Director - Highways and Environment
Diverse group of businesses, established to generate growth and opportunity
Key member of the Group Board
About Our Client
Corserv is a diverse group of businesses owned by Cornwall Council and established to improve the lives of people in Cornwall by generating growth and opportunity. They deliver high-quality services that provide infrastructure, engineering, housing, social care, facilities management, inward investment, transport and other essential services to Cornwall and beyond.
Corserv was created to bring together various Cornwall Council owned trading businesses to deliver efficiency, reduce costs and improve quality of service, becoming the largest private employer in the county. In addition, Corserv provides income and savings to Cornwall Council, generating greater economic benefit to Cornwall. Their c3,000 employees are committed to growing the local economy and delivering high quality services and jobs for the benefit of the communities they serve. By operating and collaborating as a group, they share common services and expertise, delivering efficiency and high standards.
Their companies are Cormac, Cornwall Airport Newquay, Cornwall Housing and Cornwall Development Company. In addition, they deliver Facilities Management, Fleet Services and Community Care Services. These are all brought together with shared business support functions.
The contribution to an economy of an industry or sector is measured using gross value added (GVA). Across the group, Corserv already generate a GVA of £91.7 million to the South West and have ambitions to significantly grow this.
Their 4-year strategic plan is to grow the group of companies to optimise and focus on local market needs and opportunities through:
- investing in Cornwall, improving infrastructure and delivering community benefits through their own finances
- leveraging the benefits of new technology to deliver cost and service improvements
- provide employment, learning opportunities and apprenticeships for young people
- seek revenue growth opportunities that take full advantage of new and existing partnerships
Equally, Corserv will continue to transform their approach to customer service through innovation, new technology and supporting staff to ensure the customer is at the heart of their delivery.
Corserv are seeking to appoint a Non-Executive Director who will be a member of the Corserv Group Board. Your role will be setting and driving the setting and driving the Highways and Environment Company's strategic direction and ensuring the Company fulfils statutory and legislative responsibilities. This is a key role in improving performance, and promoting the highest standards of practice, quality, and governance.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Give an objective and wider view of external factors affecting the company and its business environment. Provide a creative and informed contribution to the organisation's strategy and act as a constructive critic in looking at the objectives and plans devised by the Chief Executive and the Executive team.
- Monitor the performance of executive management, especially regarding progress made towards achieving the company strategy and objectives. Assist in the development of the executive directors and ensure effective succession planning.
- Help connect the business and Board with networks of potentially useful people and organisations and if appropriate represent the company externally.
- Ensure the integrity of financial information and that financial controls and systems of risk management are robust and effective.
- As part of the broader Board, ensure that the company accounts properly to its shareholders by presenting a true and fair reflection of its actions and financial performance and that the necessary internal control systems are put into place and monitored regularly and rigorously.
The Successful Applicant
The ideal candidate will have strong influencing skills, the ability to hold others to account, ideally as an experienced NED. More importantly you will be or have been a Board member within a commercial Highways and Environment sectors. You will be able to evidence driving and supporting an organisation through a period of significant change. An understanding of current legislation as it pertains to Highways and Environment regulations is advantageous; the integration of services and working in collaboration with other strategic partners with a focus on transformation, change and organisational development from the private sector.
Furthermore, safety and compliance expertise gained from a current or recent role would be valued and ideally some professional experience gained within a commercial context. An ability to constructively challenge professional practice from a depth of knowledge and experience would also be welcome.
As well as being a Group Board member, bringing specific industry experience, a Corserv NED is also expected to bring their broad commercial and industry experience to additional boards/committees from time to time as requested.
The successful candidate will need to commit to 10 Board Meetings a year, with 10 days preparation and up to 10 days for other activities / commitments as required.
We are keen to receive applications from people who come from a Black, Asian or other minority ethnic background or identify as having a disability.
What's on Offer
£16000-£16500 per annum + expenses