Leading International Organization
International and multicultural role
About Our Client
The Public Interest Oversight Board (PIOB) is an international organization that was created in March 2005 to oversee the public interest activities of the International Federation of Accountants (IFAC), in particular the setting of international audit, ethics and education standards by the international standard-setting boards, IAASB, IESBA, and IAESB, as well as the activities of IFAC's Compliance Advisory Panel and the IFAC Nominating Committee.
The focus of this position will be the core oversight work of the PIOB, comprising monitoring and continuous assessment of the processes of development of standards of the Standard Setting Boards (SSBs) and/or committees.
In this role, the incumbent will be responsible for supporting the Oversight Director in day-to-day monitoring of SSB activities, identifying issues of public interest arising from both the activities of these groups and external developments that would be expected to have an impact on such activities, and developing appropriate briefings and recommendations to support the ongoing work of the Board.
This position requires a well-organised individual, able to handle a variety of challenges including critical assessment of public interest issues in the development of international standards, and other directed or independent research or special projects as required. The incumbent must also be able to understand the needs, priorities and responsibilities of the Director of Oversight in order to provide support to and, as required, deputise for this function.
- continuously monitor the activities of the International Auditing and Assurance Standards Board (IAASB), the International Ethics Standards Board for Accountants (IESBA), their respective Consultative Advisory Groups, and the IFAC Nominating Committee;
- identify public interest issues with respect to the agendas and operations of these groups that fall within the scope of the PIOB's interest as well as relevant developments in the external environment that might be expected to have an impact on such work;
- undertake either directed or self-initiated research activities to support the formulation of briefings and recommendations to both PIOB observers assigned to individual SSB meetings and the Board as a whole;
- draft the parts of the PIOB Public Report falling under his/her responsibilities;
- report to external parties the oversight activity performed, and the public interest issues identified on the main projects developed by the SSBs;
- develop and present board and other meeting papers and,
- co-ordinate PIOB observer activities related to the designated SSBs, CAG, and IFAC Nominating Committee, covering development and maintenance of the observations calendar and liaison with IFAC technical and administrative staff as required.
As required to support the responsibilities above described, the Oversight Advisor, will maintain close liaison and collaboration with the External Relations and Communications Advisor.
Over time and as required, the Oversight Advisor may also be asked to:
a) act as the designated PIOB observer for specified SSB events/meetings;
b) represent the PIOB at designated meetings, seminars and conferences;
c) temporarily assume the role of Acting Oversight Director within the limits prescribed by PIOB internal policies and procedures.
The Successful Applicant
- Bachelor's degree in a relevant field such as business administration, public administration, accountancy, law or economics together with a minimum of ten years relevant working experience.
- Candidates with an advanced degree and/or specialized professional training and at least seven years of relevant experience in the fields of law or accountancy are also invited to apply.
- Sound understanding of public policy, and/or professional standard-setting, processes and trends.
Fluency in English as a working language.
Working and personal skills:
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills in English.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Critical thinking.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment and make decisions.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Willingness to take responsibility and be accountable.
- Strong motivation and desire to make a difference.
What's on Offer
International and multicultural role.