Sales Director Marine
To lead a team of sales executives and help double the size of the U.S region
Ideal role for a sales manager with trackrecord in Marine & Energy clients
About Our Client
Our client is a global OEM and aftermarket player in the marine equipment industry. Our client revenues under 100M in the U.S, so the ideal candidate must be comfortable and experienced working for global companies, but in a regional subsidiary.
Reporting to the Global Head of Sales and to the Regional President, your main responsiblities will be:
Executes the regional sales strategy that delivers on commercial growth targets. Identifies appropriate routes to market to support product innovation and contributes effectively to development of customer value proposition. Deploys best practice, driving development and sales performance within their territory to ensure sales team develops effective customer partnerships, becoming the most trusted provider of Marine safety and compliance solutions. Drives activity to target and deliver multi-year customer commitment and spend
Takes ownership of the go-to-market strategy for a specific customer sector, ensuring deep understanding of evolving customer needs and how the CLIENT's propositions could be deployed to meet those needs. Ensures the wider sales community are engaged in and aligned to this sector sales strategy as appropriate for their customer portfolios
Duties and responsibilities
- Lead the development and implementation of territory sales plan, to deliver territory revenue target and support for regional P&Ls. Ensure alignment with overall sales strategy and priorities whilst anticipating local complex issues, challenges, and opportunities
- Effectively communicate the overall sales strategy and territory business plan to sales team, ensuring every member of the team understands how they personally contribute to achieving business aims and Values. Motivate people to commit to targets and to doing extraordinary things to achieve business goals
- Ensure effective relationship management, account and sales plans are in place for all Target, Anchor and Explore customers territory portfolio. Coach sales colleagues to drive performance (quality and delivery) at all stages of the sales pipeline. Seek opportunities to increase exposure to new ways of working and on-job skills development for team
- Support team to configure complex, high value tailored or bespoke product and service solutions and associated contractual terms that meet the customer's strategic goals. Support key solution presentations to customer representatives and negotiations, including managing internal relationships to ensure smooth delivery at an acceptable level of commercial risk. Review and authorise sales proposals to ensure that these are constructed within acceptable commercial and risk parameters
- Work with Sales leadership team to develop and gain agreement to annual business plan, aligned to CLIENT strategy; detail expense and headcount budgets; and develop business cases for key projects, ensuring cross-functional integration as needed
- Leverage internal network to manage strategic client and customer relationships, where deployment of account teams across multiple territories is required to deliver global solution and drive customer intimacy and loyalty
- Develop the medium-term go-to-market strategy for a key customer sector. Ensure the strategy is successfully implemented and all those whose customer portfolios are impacted by this strategy, are engaged and aligned
- Creates an environment where everyone in the team can live the CLIENT Values and deliver a safety first culture within territory
- Maintains in-depth industry knowledge and works collaboratively with functional teams to take advantage of expert specialist knowledge and ensure operations comply with all legislation, regulation and best practice advice
- Manage and report on the performance of the territory; set appropriate performance objectives for direct reports and hold them accountable for achieving these; take appropriate corrective action where necessary to ensure the achievement of annual business objectives.
- Utilises data effectively to make informed business decisions
- Selects, develops, leads and manages a highly productive sales team, ensuring everyone understands how their individual and team effort contributes to meeting customer needs and the overall success of the business
- Demonstrates in-depth knowledge and capability at each stage in the sales process, providing the basis for effective capability assessment and development and performance management. Identifies skills gaps and supports team to identify and action their development priorities. Motivates team to develop their capabilities and fulfil their personal potential
- Communicates effectively with leadership team, regional management, colleagues and customers
- Provides peer advice and coaching support for those new to Head of Sales role
- Including other duties assigned by your manager from time to time.
The Successful Applicant
- A hands on sales leader, with a lot of focus on team development and client relationship.
- Strategic mindset. Sees ahead to future possibilities, to formulate breakthrough strategies
- Customer mindset. Builds strong customer relationships and delivers customer-centric solutions
- Manages complexity. Makes sense of complex, high quantity, and sometimes contradictory information to effectively solve problems
- Business insight. Applies knowledge of business and the marketplace to advance the organisation's goals
- Uses compelling arguments to gain the support and commitment of others
- Interpersonal savvy. Relates openly and comfortably with diverse groups of people
- Drives results. Consistently achieves results, even under tough circumstances
- Drives vision and values. Paints a compelling picture of the vision and strategy that motivates others to action
- Rebounds from setbacks and adversity when facing difficult situations
- Plans and prioritises work to meet commitments aligned with organisational goals
Experience and qualification
Educated to University Degree or equivalent level
10 - 15 years of general experience, providing at least 5 years of expert competence in marine equipment or services
6 - 10 years of managerial sales experience, covering:
- planning, managing and delivering sales targets through others in line with business strategy
- strategy and policy definition and implementation within short / medium timescales
What's on Offer
This role can be remote, but will naturally have to be in constant travel between Texas and Florida due to client exposure in the marine & energy (Texas) and Cruises (Florida).
This is a great opportunity to help rebuild a top performance sales team and help the company to double the revenue in the US.
A DOER profile is a must. This is not an office based management role. This is a client facing and field team development position.