Tax Director - Multi-Family Office - Boston, MA
Based in Boston's Financial District
Reports directly into the COO of the multi-family office.
About Our Client
My client is a prestigious multi-family office based in the Financial District of Boston. Due to continued growth and in line with their longer term strategy, they are looking for a high caliber, HNW tax specialist to spearhead their team of seasoned and capable tax professionals. The firm has been in existence for over 100 years and they have managed the wealth of some of America's most reputable families.
They have retained Michael Page Boston exclusively to secure their next Tax Director.
Reporting directly into the Chief Operating Officer and the General Counsel, the Director/ Manager of Tax will be responsible for a team of 12 seasoned HNW tax professionals. The role can be broken down into three parts.
1. Evaluating and providing recommendations on improvements to the current vision, strategic direction, and technical needs and solutions within the Tax Department in addition to striving to implement best practices processes throughout the team.
2. Managing a team of high performing and capable tax professionals. The team's collective mission is to provide tax planning and preparing services to a client base consisting of affluent, sophisticated trust and individual high-net worth individuals and families. They are unquestionably best in class.
3. In addition to providing strategic oversight and managing the team, you will also be expected to maintaining a client portfolio where appropriate.
Main duties and responsibilities will include to:
- Lead, motivate, and challenge staff comprised of tax and estate professionals possessing a wide-range of skill level, experience and professional achievement.
- Organize, coordinate and assign work assignments and projects ensuring quality service is provided to the Trustees and their clients.
- Identify and recommend process improvements to enhance productivity and level of client relations/service.
- Drive successful working relationships and interact regularly with Trustees in an advisory capacity with existing and potential clients to assist with complex tax and estate planning concepts and solutions.
- Attend and speak at Executive Committee and Trustee meetings regarding tax and estate issues as needed.
- Assume responsibility for monitoring and controlling area activities, establishing work standards and making recommendations regarding performance appraisal, salary adjustments, training and development and related personnel actions.
- Partner with Client Services and Fiduciary Risk Management Committees to strengthen fiduciary knowledge across multiple departments.
- Keep abreast of major tax law changes, taking a proactive approach.
- Network with outside tax and legal professionals regarding client and office matters as needed.
- Maintain knowledge of and aptitude for technical systems, essential to ensuring efficient delivery of a wide range of high quality tax related services.
- Negotiate vendor contracts, rates and services; liaise with all vendor relationships.
- Participate as a member of the Management Team; engage in joint problem solving activities and inter-department projects, often times in areas not directly affecting the Tax Department.
This recruitment assignment has been retained exclusively by Michael Page. Submit your resume today and Tom Smith will review within 48 hours of submittal. If you are deemed suitable, you can expect a callback within 72 hours of submission.
The Successful Applicant
In return for a competitive remuneration package, the successful candidate will possess the following:
- Bachelor's degree
- LL.M. degree strongly preferred. CPA designation and/or advanced degree (MST) is highly desirable.
- Experience in the creation and implementation of efficient tax planning strategies for high net worth individuals.
- Experience in tax consequences associated with foreign trusts, estates and investment vehicles.
- Experience in the application of income/estate/gift tax treaties and the tax implications of cross-border financial transactions.
- Expertise with Microsoft applications (Word and Excel) and tax planning/preparation software (ProSystem fx or CCH Access).
- A strong work ethic, loyalty, discretion and the highest ethical standards.
What's on Offer
- Competitive base salary
- Competitive benefits package
- Downtown Boston work location
- Close-knit, highly competent, collaborating, team environment with incredibly low staff turnover and high staff retention.