VP of Legal
Head of Legal role for trust company with diverse client base
Direct supervisory responsibilities of Trust Counsel and Trust Administration
About Our Client
Wide range of responsibilites, including:
- Review trust agreements and related documents, including partnership agreements and LLC operating agreements, with a view towards whether they are acceptable to the Company.
- Work closely with clients' attorneys and other advisors in the drafting of trusts and other legal documents, working collaboratively to assure that accounts that are to be accepted are governed by documents that adhere to the Company's standards.
- Draft releases, assignments and other documents needed in the opening, administration and closing of trust accounts.
- Prepare Trust Summaries and distribute the same to the appropriate Company personnel in a timely manner.
- Review discretionary requests, working with Trust Administrators to see that all information and documentation needed for an informed decision has been received and analyzed.
- Adhere to all operating policies and procedures and ensure that support personnel do so, as well.
- Participation in quarterly Management Meetings and on-going communication amongst the management team.
- Participation as a member of the Internal Trust Committee in meetings, scheduled as needed.
- Participation in billing matters to ensure the accuracy of Company billing and determination of the appropriateness of "extra" billings.
- Ensure the compliance of all members of the Legal Department (the "Department") to established internal controls, policies and procedures, and external compliance requirements of the Company.
- Preparation of the Departmental budget on an annual basis, as well as on-going review of the same throughout the year. As part of this function, the Vice President of Legal Affairs will also have the authority to approve/decline expense reports of direct reports.
- Preparation and development of a strategic plan for the Department, including staffing needs, technological needs and ideas for professional development.
- Preparation of the Department annual employee reviews as well as the provision of appropriate and timely performance feedback on an on-going basis.
- Participation in the hiring, firing, promoting or other changes in the status of members of the Department, to include changes in compensation.
- Motivating, leading and coaching of Department members, encouraging growth and the free-flow of ideas.
- Identification of new procedures, processes streamlining, operational enhancements and efficiencies for the Department and the Company as a whole.
- Review and approval of new forms and methods of utilizing relevant software to streamline processes.
- Supervision and training of the Trust Counsel; specifically to ensure proper training as to all policies and procedures.
- Act as a liaison between the Department and other departments within the Company to ensure the accurate flow of information. Identify opportunities for cross training and on-going ease of inter-department communication. Maintenance of a positive working relationship, and team building between all departments.
- Offer counsel on a variety of legal matters/issues involving the Company.
- Identify and assess potential legal and business risks and provide guidance to senior management so as to ensure timely and appropriate response.
- Research unique legal issues impacting the Company by identifying applicable statutes, judicial decisions and codes.
- Keep abreast of legislative changes and trust decisions which may affect the Company and its line of business.
- Coordinate litigation matters on behalf of the Company with outside counsel.
The Successful Applicant
- JD or LLB from an accredited law school; LLM or MBA a plus.
- Current admission to Bar of any state.
- Minimum of six years' experience in the Trust & Estates group (or related area of practice) of a law firm or experience with a trust company or bank trust department. Should have familiarity with asset protection trusts and sophisticated estate planning techniques and transactional skills.
- Must have excellent communications skills and be able to multi-task and work independently.
- Must have experience working with a diverse client base within the trust and estates field.
- Must have experience interacting directly with clients on a daily basis.
What's on Offer
Competitive base salary, work/life balance and flexibility.